Temperature plays a crucial role in transport & logistics. The health of all clients and users is often reliant upon temperature in many ways as well. Maintaining proper temperature levels in storage areas is critical.
Temperature-controlled transport is a complex topic, covering much more than merely getting goods from one place to another.
According to European Union, there are several regulations and recommendations for transport & logistics.
- Establish and implement „good hygiene practices“
- Establish and implement a self-inspection system on the basis of HACCP
- Annual temperature recorder inspections as per EN 13486
- Documentary evidence
When accepting the goods, the driver should take note of the following:
- Precooling of the vehicle used to transport the goods
- Steps to ensure the circulation of air in the trailer (of particular importance on vehicles with double-decker beams, two-level loading and tall loads)
- Product temperatures on accepting the load
- Checking of the required transport temperatures (logical and appropriate to the load)
Possible measures during transport:
- Regular checking of the temperature indicators on the trailer
- Selection of an appropriate parking space (avoid the midday sun in high summer)
Notes on unloading:
- Keep the doors of the trailer shut for as long as possible
- Driver and the recipient should measure the temperature of the goods
- Ensure confirmation of correct delivery
In every industry that involves food temperature of food and the premises where that food is produced, stored and transported, you should constantly control the temperature to minimize the risk of harmful levels of bacteria.
Products that are at high risk of developing harmful bacteria is meat products. Dried goods and vegetables and salad are also likely to contain bacteria if the food is on premises that have poor temperature control. Perishable food should always be controlled to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.
If we talk about legislation, HACCP system requires certain foods to be held at temperatures that will prevent the growth of harmful bacteria or the formulation of toxins.
Taking down the temperature on the paper, at least twice a day, could be exhausting and time consuming. There is a modern solution for your problems in Hanna Instruments. Log on with our loggers and keep logging.
HI148 Temperature Datalogger
Quick to setup, simple to use, the HI148 is a datalogger that is ideal for monitoring and recording temperature in applications such as food processing, transportation, museums, and horticulture.
Thin and Rugged Design
The HI148 is housed in a rugged, waterproof ABS casing with an IP67 rating, which protects against the ingress of dust and submersion in water at a depth of 1 meter for up to 30 minutes. It is compact in size but has a large, high contrast display for easy viewing. Each thermologger is supplied with a wall cradle allows for fixed mounting in a location of your choice.
Multiple Sensor Options
The HI148 temperature dataloggers are available in four different models. Models are available with one or two channels with a combination of internal and/or external sensors. Loggers with an external temperature sensor feature a stainless steel probe on a 1 m (3.3’) flexible silicone cable.
You can choose between HI148-1 that has 1 internal sensor, HI148-2 that has 1 external sensor, HI148-3 that has 1 internal and 1 external sensor or HI148-4 that has 2 external sensors.
Programmable LCD Display
The HI148 features a large clear LCD display with a wide viewing angle. The LCD is divided into 3 areas: the top displays the status of the datalogger; the middle displays the temperature reading, units, and active channel; the bottom display is user selectable, and can include the minimum and maximum temperature, the high and low alarm thresholds, the current number of samples, and the number of samples outside alarm limits.
All dataloggers can be programmed and transfer of logged data using a USB-C cable and the HI92148 PC software. Each datalogger is serialized with a unique ID code to track results by meter. The HI92148 PC software is compatible with Windows(R) XP or newer operating system.
Customizable Program Settings
The HI148 waterproof thermologgers offer a wide variety of programming options that can be set in the using the HI92148 PC software, including:
- Logging start mode that can be delayed by setting a fixed time (1 second to 199 hours ) or started manually by pressing a dedicated button on the back.
- Programmable high and low alarm limits with visual LED indicators
- Logging and measurement interval (from 1 sec to 24 hours for 1-channel models, and from 2 sec to 24 hrs for 2-channel models)
- Each logging session can be assigned an ID number and password.
Data Retrieval and Analysis
The thermologgers feature extensive memory capacity: 16,000 samples for 1-channel models and 8,000 samples/channel for 2-channel models. Logged data is displayed as both a table and a graphical representation in the HI92148 software. The graphical representation can be saved as an image file, while the data can also be exported as a spreadsheet for further data analysis.
Author: Nives Vinceković Budor, mag.ing.chem.ing.
Tajana Mokrović, mag.nutr.