Today’s beekeeping is unfortunately no longer possible without feeding bees sugar in the form of syrups or cakes.
It’s crucial to successfully prepare the bees after the winter for the spring development and for the honey harvests that follow.
Part will be used as the main pastures and part for pastures that will bring excess honey to beekeepers.
It’s recommended to use clean water, stagnant tap water the night before to reduce the amount of chlorine.
Consumable crystalline white sugar from sugar beet (sucrose) became the main source of food for bees in the form of sugar syrup in different proportions of sugar and water.
The sugar syrup that beekeepers prepare for their bees is often of unfavorable pH.
By correcting the pH in sugar syrup, we make it easier for bees to invert the syrup to convert the sucrose sugar solution into glucose and fructose. In this way we lower the significant strain on the bee’s body. One of the options to facilitate this, most commonly are used EM probiotics which are usually pH 2.8 and serve to lower the pH of dissolved sugar to an acceptable level.
Of course, the goal is to have healthy and strong bees that will bring their beekeepers high yields of honey and bee products, and that they will provide themselves with supplies for autumn and winter.
For measuring pH we have several options:
Professional Foodcare Portable pH Meter
The HI98161 is a rugged, waterproof, portable pH meter that measures pH and temperature using the specialized FC2023 Foodcare pH electrode.
- complies with IP67 standards.
- supplied with all necessary accessories to perform a pH/temperature measurement packaged into a durable thermoformed carrying case that holds the meters, probes and calibration buffers securely in place
- The conical shaped tip design allows for penetration into solids, semi-solids, and emulsions for the direct measurement of pH in food products
Portable Food and Dairy pH Meter
Designed to bring simplicity to pH testing of food and dairy products, the HI99161 pH Meter for Food and Dairy is designed for use in the food sector. The specialized probe features a PVDF body, conical tip, and open junction making it ideal for direct measurement of semisolid foods.
- ±0.02 pH accuracy
- Comes with all the necessary solutions and batteries- everything you need to get started measuring right away.
- Great for use in small food and dairy operations as well as for hobbyists.
Easy measurements in honey bee cakes:
for Bread & Dough
Designed to bring simplicity to pH testing, the HALO2 pH Tester (HI9810382) is engineered for use during baking process to meet food-hygiene and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulations.
- Open-source Bluetooth allows easy integration into current data logging systems
- IP65 water resistant protection
- Specialized electrode for spot checking
- Equipped with everything you need for successful testing right out of the box
Digital Refractometer for Sugar Analysis Throughout the Food Industry
Hanna’s new HI96800 Digital Refractometer measures Refractive Index and displays results in both temperature compensated (nD20) and non-temperature compensated (nD) formats on the dual-level LCD screen. The HI96800’s intuitive layout and pinpoint accuracy ensures effortless operation and reliable readings every time. Refractive Index is measured to determine a liquid’s composition and assess its concentration and density.
It is used by many industries including pharmaceutical, food and environmental, as an important indicator of quality and consistency. The HI96800 also converts Refractive Index to % Brix with the push of a single button.
- Sample size as small as 2 metric drops (100 μl)
- Sealed stainless steel well with high-grade optical prism made of flint glass
- Fast 1.5 second response time for temperature compensated readings
Over the past 50 years, the amount of crops that depend on pollinators (i.e. fruit, vegetables, seeds, nuts and oilseeds) has tripled. Bees play an important role in relation to the scope of agricultural production. Effective pollination increases the amount of agricultural produce, improves their quality and enhances plants’ resistance to pests.